Whirlwind… Part 2

September 1, 2010 — 1 Comment

We all finished watching Whale Wars and went to bed in hope that we would enjoy the day tomorrow together in celebration. However around midnight we got a call saying that my Grandma was going to surgery because there was a hole in her colon.  I knew then that things were going sour. I then couldn’t go back to sleep I tossed and turned and tossed and turned. I talked to Christopher a little wondering if he was still awake. About an hour later we got the call that it was ugly, the doctors’ didn’t think that she was going to make it out of surgery. Mom asked me what I was doing and of course I was going to Toledo to tell Grandma that it was okay to go home and that I loved her. I asked Christopher what he was doing because my parents just need to know what they were doing with the dogs. He said that he would stay with the kids and the dogs. So at about 2:30 CST we headed for an 8.5 hour drive to Toledo. It was a hard drive to make. I didn’t sleep much just a few here and there. Mom and I took turns crying while dad drove.

When we made it to the hospital she was still there and actually doing fairly well for  the situation. She of course was in ICU with all types of tubes and what not. We spent the rest of the day there taking turns visiting her, crying on and off. That night we headed back to her house. I tried hard not to let my Mom see me cry because I thought about how she may never come back home to her house. I can just remember look at the mostly dark house the breeze blowing a little holding the bag that held my clothes. I just hoped that she was strong enough to come back to the house where not only do I have all my childhood memories of her but where my mom grew up. I was exhaused from the days event and ready to sleep but I didn’t sleep as well as I hoped. I tried to position the window air conditioner so that it wouldn’t blow on me but no prevail it blew on my face all night. Even having my fuzzy on my face wasn’t helping.

The next couple of days were the same. 12 days at the hospital and staying the night at Grandma and Grandpa’s house just long enough to sleep. One day my parents and I did go to Meijer so that they could pick up a few things and I picked up a couple of books because I was reaching my sit around and doing nothing limits.

The good part about all of this was being able to spend quality time with my family. The reasons that we were together sucked but it was nice to have one or more good conversations with each family member.

On Monday night Dad and I decided that Grandma was stable enough to head back to Nashville  the next day. I went in while Grandma was on a sedation vacation. This means that even though she still had a tube in her throat, they turned off her vent and her sedation for an hour. While I was there she was able to open her eyes at me a little and know that I was there. I told her that she was doing so well that Ephriam and Kendra needed me to be with them. I gave her a kiss and left the room with out her seeing me crying.

… To be continued.



One response to Whirlwind… Part 2

  1. Thanks for sharing your heart. I love you.

Leave a Reply

Text formatting is available via select HTML.

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>